What We Believe
Cloverdale United Reformed Church is a Christian, Protestant, and Reformed Church that belongs to the federation of United Reformed Churches of North America
As a Christian church we hold to the truths outlined in the ecumenical (universal) creeds of the church:As a Protestant Church we trace our roots to the 16th century Protestant Reformation and hold to the five solas of the Reformation:
- Sola Scriptura (Scripture Alone) – The Bible is the sole written divine revelation, our only infallible rule for faith and life, and alone can bind the conscience of believers absolutely (Matt. 4:4; 2 Tim. 3:16).
- Sola Gratia (Grace Alone) – Our salvation rests solely on the work of God’s grace for us (Rom. 2:4; Eph. 2:8-10).
- Sola Fide (Faith Alone) – Justification is by faith alone. By God’s free grace, the righteousness of Jesus Christ is imputed to us by faith and is the sole ground of our acceptance by God, by which our sins are pardoned (Rom. 5:1; Gal 2:16).
- Solus Christus (Christ Alone) – Jesus Christ is the only mediator through whose work we are redeemed (John 14:6; John 3:16).
- Soli Deo Glora (To the Glory of God Alone)- Salvation is of God and has been accomplished by God, therefore to God alone belongs the glory (Isa. 42:8; Col. 3:17).